food

4 Healthy things to add to Smoothies | Part 1

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Smoothies are so healthy and tasty that quite frankly I can't imagine my life before them. They are a fantastic way of getting your daily fruit intake in one go and more recently there are so many other products that can be added to them to give them an extra health boost. Since I purchased my blender - The Blend Active Personal Blender - about a year ago, I've been going smoothie crazy most mornings for Breakfast.

I strongly recommend the Blend Active because the ease of use is second to none and it's an absolute bargain. I purchased the family edition which comes with 4 separate cups in 2 different sizes. The cups fit directly to the blender meaning that you have minimal washing to do afterwards. Just add your fruit and other ingredients straight into the cup, attach it to the blender, whiz away, pop on a lid and bobs your uncle, you're done. Simples.

Now on to the big question.
What can I add into my smoothie to give it extra health benefits?
Hopefully I can shed some light on a number of products that I use in conjunction with my smoothies to give me extra added yummy goodness.



Linseed (which is also known as flaxseed) is a bit of a wonder product because it's high in fibre but low in carbohydrates and we all know what fibre is good for right? Please don't make me explain it. Basically fibre is great for aiding healthy digestion and colon detoxification. Meaning that we can all go to the toilet a little easier (if you know what I mean). Linseed/Flaxseed also contains Omega 3 fatty acids which are great for healthy skin and hair as well as supporting weight loss when used in moderation. If that isn't enough to feed your smoothie appetite, Linseed/Flaxseed is gluten free, high in antioxidants and helps to lower cholesterol. Amazing stuff right? Linseed/Flaxseed can come in a variety of different flavours to add a little extra to your smoothies or even to sprinkle over your porridge/breakfast cereal.


Spirulina is a product that can sound off-putting to many health junkies as it's derived from blue/green algae. Yep, algae! Similar to that furry green stuff you find at the bottom of a pond or the sea. Don't let that put you off though, as Spirulina is packed with protein and an array of B Vitamins making it a very nutritiously healthy option to add to your smoothies. Similar to Linseed/Flaxseed, Spirulina is packed with anti-oxidants and Omega Acids so it's great for aiding weight loss. There are also a number of impressive health factors that Spirulina claims to benefit such as cancer fighting properties, reduction in blood pressure, lowering cholesterol and protecting against heart disease. Spirulina is quite literally what we would refer to as a superfood. If you've never tried it before I would recommend only adding half a teaspoon to start with and gradually working your way up as you get used to the taste as it can come as a surprise if you haven't tasted it before. It doesn't taste nasty in any way, just imagine piling a load of greens in your smoothie and you get the gist of it. When you have added Spirulina to a smoothie I would recommend drinking it straight away. DO NOT leave it for long periods of time or overnight as Spirulina can start to ferment if mixed with live products such as yoghurt (and I am talking from personal experience), just don't do it. Be prepared to take your green smoothies to a whole other level with this wonder product!


I am an absolute sucker for chocolate and I don't draw the line at chocolate flavoured smoothies, but chocolate doesn't have to mean it's unhealthy and full of fat. Quite the opposite if you use Cocoa in it's raw state. Raw cacao powder is one of the richest sources of anti oxidants that you will get in any product, and teamed with it's amazing chocolatey taste, why wouldn't you want to add it to your smoothies? Antioxidants in Raw Cacao Powder can neutralise free radicals, lower cholesterol, lower blood-pressure, improve circulation and generally support a healthy heart and isn't that something we all want. Ever heard the myth that chocolate makes us feel better? Well, it's not a myth. It's a fact that cacao contains chemicals such as serotonin that can improve our mood, help combat depression and even act as an aphrodisiac. Have I given you enough reasons to add this to your smoothies? I think so. My favourite is banana, almond milk, cacao powder and peanut butter because it's absolutely to die for, and think of all that goodness. I'm always stocked up on Choc Chick Raw Cocao Powder which I originally found on Deliciously Ella, and if Ella recommends it, then it's good enough for me, and you!


Powdered Peanut Butter
Last but not least is powdered peanut butter and this one is by far my personal favourite. Peanut butter is just absolutely divine in smoothies, but since I've been sticking to slimming world and a healthier diet I've come across PB2, powdered peanut butter. It's basically the same great taste and protein you get from peanut butter but with 85% less fat. Now unfortunately because the peanuts in this product have effectively been dehydrated, you don't get those healthy fatty acids that are a great benefit of regular peanut butter. However, if you are on a calorie counting diet or generally just want the peanut butter flavour without all the calories then this product is definitely for you. I still keep stocked up on regular peanut butter for those days when I'm feeling a little less disciplined. I find that adding just a couple of teaspoons of this (around 20 calories) to my smoothies gives me enough flavour to be satisfied and it works great with banana, almond milk and cacao powder (my favourite smoothie).

These 4 products are some of my favourites and are regular additions to my morning smoothies. Yes, fruit smoothies are great on there own but adding a spoonful of any of my yummy selections will take your smoothies up a notch. Not only can the majority of these products add some extra scrumptious flavour to your smoothies, they are jam packed with anti-oxidants and other health benefits that you can't get from fruit alone. I'm not about fad diet products and shakes, which is why I prefer to buy ingredients such as these so I know exactly what is going into my food and my body.
This is only part 1 of my "Healthy things to add to your smoothies" series. I have another post coming with 3 more healthy extras that you can add, to take your smoothies to the next level. I'm really enjoying writing foodie posts recently, so if you have any ideas that you'd like me to write about please let me know in the comments below. Alternatively I'd love to hear what you add to your smoothies to make them extra healthy, so let me know. Don't forget to follow me via BlogLovin' so that you never miss another post!
The links to buy these products are as follows;
Linwoods Milled Linseed
Naturya Organic Spirulina Powder
Choc Chick Raw Cacao Powder
PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
The Blender that I use can be viewed here;
Breville Blend Active Personal Blender

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love adding spirulina!
    Jabeen x
    http://www.spilling-the-beans.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jabeen, I just make sure to drink it straight away otherwise it turns nasty lol xx

      Delete
  2. Nice post. I have porridge oats every morning and never thought to add some extra nutrients. Where do you normally buy these products? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerry, the links for all the products are on the review on each heading :)

      Hope that helps, and I often add them to my porridge x

      Delete

Follow my Twitter