food

3 Healthy Things to add to Smoothies | Part 2

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Smoothies are such a healthy way to start the day and if you're here then hopefully you've read 
4 Healthy things to add to smoothies | Part 1 which I wrote earlier in the month. Well here is Part 2, with even more yummy healthy goodies that you can use in your smoothies to take them up a notch in nutritional value.
The previous post which you can see here mainly covered powders and proteins that can be added to give extra flavour and health benefits. Today I have 3 items that are all completely different so there's a bit of variety here for you.


Chia Seeds
These little black seeds are from the Salvia Hispanica Plant and they pack a powerful nutritional punch like you wouldn't believe. Jammed full with Antioxidants, chia seeds are one of the best food sources for their nutritional value. I love them because they're low in Carbohydrates and the majority of these carbs are fibre (which I think we've mentioned before are vital for a healthy digestive system). Being high in protein makes chia seeds great for anyone on a high protein diet and because the seeds can absorb more than 10 times their weight in water, they will expand and make you feel fuller for longer, making them a good appetite suppressent. Similar to Flaxseed, chia seeds are rich in Omega 3 acids which contribute to better metabolic health and believe it or not, these little seeds contain more Omega 3 Acids than salmon. You'd better believe it! I don't really find they taste of much at all so they can easily be added to breakfasts, meals and smoothies to top up your fibre, protein and many other nutirional intakes. I use Sevenhills Wholefoods Chia Seeds which can be purchased here on Amazon for a bargain price!

Whey Protein
If you have a partner or friend whose a bit of a gym goer then you'll probably recognise whey protein as a drink that is consumed before or after exercise/workouts. Yes you would be correct, but that doesn't have to be the only time it is used and there are benefits of using it as part of a diet as well as before and after the gym. Proteins are often used in low fat/low carb diets, as well as being utilised to give energy and repair muscles. The bottom line is, that proteins are often what make you feel full, and of all the proteins, whey is one that will leave you feeling full more successfully. Adding whey protein to your smoothies has so many benefits aside from making it taste absolutely delicious. Whey helps to maintain muscle mass, suppress your appetite, boost your metabolism, aid fat burning, help muscle recovery, lower cholesterol and lower blood pressure. If that isn't enough to convince you to stick a spoon full in your smoothie then I don't know what is. I prefer to use Diet Whey Protein simply because it's much lower in fat and carbohydrate. The ones I love to use are the one shown in the photo which is Winning Ways Sports Diet Whey Protein which can be purchased from Health Rack. The other I like to use is the Pulsin Natural Whey Protein which can be purchased from Amazon

Unsweetened Almond Milk
Now personally, I don't like the taste of cows milk so there is a reason that I started using Almond Milk in my smoothies as a pose to regular milk. However, there are many benefits to having Almond Milk over cows milk so have a little read and consider whether you might like to make the change in your smoothies (or even your cups of tea/coffee). Firstly, Almond milk doesn't contain any cholesterol or saturated fat making it a lot lower in calories than regular milk and a better alternative if you're hoping to lose or maintain a healthy weight. If you're worried about your blood sugars or lactose intake then again, almond milk is a fantastic alternative as there are no sugars present in Almond milk such as in Cows milk. Any carbs found will be used as energy rather than stored as fat, so it's a win win for the almond milk! In fact, the only downside to it is that it doesn't contain as much calcium as cows milk, however there are much fewer calories so you can drink more of it if you want to achieve your calcium intake. Some brands even supplement their almond milk with extra sources of calcium to make them just as good for nutritional benefit as regular milk. I love using almond milk in my smoothies because I know it's A. barely adding any calories B. giving that same smooth, milkshakey texture and C. giving a better taste for me personally than milk does. I always go for an unsweetened version of Almond Milk, otherwise what would be the point in me rambling on about the benefits of it being good for you? I like to buy the Blue Diamond Almond Milk from my local Tesco Supermarket but any unsweetened version would be super duper!


Here is a list of all the products that I use if you'd like to try them yourself;

I recommend trying all of these products in your smoothie if you're looking for a super healthy start to the day. Let me know if you try any of these or if there are other products that you would recommend for me and my readers!

Follow
 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Almond Milk is literally the bomb.com! <3

    http://www.thisissimplyme.com/

    ReplyDelete

Follow my Twitter