hair

How to Air Dry your Hair Overnight

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Since I started bleaching my hair again, I've tried to avoid heat damage whenever possible. I'd rather not be sporting frazzled locks that look like straw. I try and find creative ways to let my hair air dry in different styles, usually overnight. There's something satisfying about going to bed with slightly damp hair and waking with something completely different. 

So here is an example of how I go from alien buns (on this occasion) to lovely beachy twists over night. 

Step 1
Shampoo your hair and follow with a luxorious moisturising treatment or mask to give your hair a good boost. Avoid adding conditioner to the roots as you want your hair to be bouncy and hold volume without being weighed down.

Step 2 
Apply some curl enhancing mousse such as the John Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curls Air-Dry Waves Styling Foam (what a mouthful) to the entire of your hair. Then apply a leave in conditioner or hair oil to the ends of your hair to add a little extra moisture. I used the Lee Stafford Here Come the Curls Creme Lite.

Step 3
Separate your hair into four sections - should look something like the picture below - or create more/less depending on how thick/thin you'd like your twists to appear once dried. Simply twist the hair away from your face and pin in place with a couple of grips. 


I would advise getting the knots as high up as you can so that it's comfier to sleep and you don't have grips digging into your head. 

Step 4
The following morning check how dry your twists are. If they need it, give them a quick blast with a hair dryer to make sure they're dried and sealed. 

Step 5
Unpin those twists and give your hair a shake upside down using your fingers to loosen the curls a bit. Don't be tempted to brush your hair as it will only cause frizz and you'll lose those lovely twists. 

Step 6
Give your hair a spritz with some salt spray to give that beachy messy look and use your fingers to twist sections of your hair into curls. 

And voila! 


Messy, beachy twists/curls without using any heat. Perfect for days when you don't have time to spend on styling your hair, or for holidays when you want to avoid extra heat. Maybe you're just ditching the heat for a while and need some inspiration. 

I pinned mine back a little as it was looking rather wild haha but once it's flattened a little I plan to let it flow. 



Hope this has been useful for you. Let me know if you have any tips for air drying your hair.

Follow me via BlogLovin using the Link below!

Follow


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. i love his heatless curling method, i actually tried it once and it ended up looking lovely!
    paula | www.namelessgap.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's overlooked a lot, but it's so much better for your hair x

      Delete
  2. What a good idea, I always sleep with my hair wet, I'll need to try this! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, and make sure you tag me in if you post any pictures so I can see :D xx

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have to try this, the end result looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were. Especially if you like messy beach looking hair! Be sure to tag me in a photo if you do so that I can see how it turns out xx

      Delete

Follow my Twitter